Monday, January 16, 2012

Marathoners still change the cat box

Well, its been a week since I ran my first marathon at the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. After a quick trip back home to the reality of everyday life, I've had some time to reflect and get a little distance from this accomplishment. No, I didn't finish in the 4:30 time that I wanted, and yes, during the run I was hating it, really hating it.

But I've had a chance to reflect upon this accomplishment in the reality of everyday life. I always believed that I could run a marathon if I tried hard. In fact, I believe that anyone can run a marathon if they really apply themselves to their training. But here's the thing, people don't. Some don't aspire to run a marathon. Some aspire but never get serious, and then there are some that take it serious and apply themselves, but either can't see it through to the end or won't see it through to the end. Injuries, illnesses, and the pressures of life, can all sideline a perfectly planned path to a marathon.

It's those of us that not only commit, but see it through to the end, toe the line at the start, and push their body around all 26.2 miles, that can say they did it. I've read dozens of blogs of people who have trained and prepared. I've read how they kept their pace straight on through to the end of the race.  I've felt that they were just more committed or perhaps were more determined. Somehow, I got it in my head that my time wasn't good enough to put me in the club. But now, with some perspective, I can say that's simply ludicrous.
I trained hard, pushed through an injury, put myself on the road rain or shine and made sure that at the end of the day, I did everything I could to prepare for the finish. In the end, I'm holding the picture of me crossing the finish line. (Actually, Brightroom is holding the pictures, but I'll buy them eventually). I'm in the club.

I'm never going to be a 4 hour marathoner. With each passing year, I'm going to be getting farther and farther away from the young body that could have made a real go a time like that. I had my chance to be a runner when I was in my twenties and didn't seize the chance then. Now that I'm on the other side of 40, I know that exercise and health will be harder and harder to maintain. This is why I need to not see this marathon as the end of a long training, but the opening of a door and the start of my new life as a marathon runner.

The everyday pressure of maintaining a home, taking care of kids, cleaning up after the pets, and going to work can't change the fact that I can run a marathon. Moreover, I've shown that my life can accommodate the time needed to pursue running not only as a training plan, but as a lifestyle.
Next week I'll run the Clearwater Halfathon for the second time and be able to stand there with the other athletes comparing this run to last year. I'll take some extra pictures to help me remember where I've been and with faith, I'll cross the finish and collect my medal and a little more pride.

As the weeks continue to stretch out in front of me, and as the registration opens for next years WDW Marathon Weekend I'll eye that next prize, maybe a Goofy is in my future. Not to mention, I've always wanted to go to New York and I hear they might have a marathon too :) (hehe). Who knows, maybe I'll see the shores of Hawaii from the soles of my running shoes as well.

I'm a marathoner, now I just need to get that tattoo I promised myself.

No comments: